Tuesday 12 September 2023

Off to Colmenar Viejo about 27kms

 Left the hotel on the outskirts of Madrid at around 0730. It was dry and warm at the start but probably nearer 26 degrees c by the time I stopped. The route out was marked but not reliably. I do wish they would stick to the simple yellow arrows as then you know what to look for. I used Mapy.cz and Wikiloc to navigate. Once the suburbs ended and I got ink to the more open space the markings were much better. The official markers, Mapy.cz and Wikiloc all showed the same route until near the end of the open area just before you get back near to the road and railway. At this point the arrows had been remarked and showed a different route to my maps. However, a quick check showed the old route was closed so now you just go the other side of the rail line. Rest of the way into Tres Cantos was straightforward. I did not stop to detour into Tres as I intended to stop on the route to eat my lovely fresh roll with tuna and olive oil. After the short break I headed off towards my day’s destination. A well marked route that crosses a river about 11 times. All crossings had the normal stone blocks as stepping stones but a few were missing. Luckily, I only lost my balance once. However, glad I was not there a week or so ago when they had torrential range. You can still see the scars in the landscape. Arrived at the Grand Hostel El Chiscon in Colmenar Viejo just after 1300. Must say it was bigger and grander than I expected. I plan to eat on the Hostel tonight as there does not seem to be much else in the immediate area and it popular at lunch. Off to Cercedilla tomorrow. It’s 1500 and I can hear thunder and lightning close by. I hope it’s all gone by tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment