Thursday 28 September 2023

Congosto to Villafranca 38km

Yesterday had one of those little Camino moments. After doing my chores I went across to the bar for a pasty and a beer( or 2). In the bar listening to me trying to establish what time they closed and how to pronounce the names of the various pasties was what turned out to be a French lady who helped me out. She asked if I was ok for food and things and I confirmed all was well. She, Natasha, lives in a nearby village called San Justo de Cabanillas and mentioned they have lots of fruit. About 2 hours later a car pulls up outside the Albergue and a man jumps out to give me a bag from Natasha full of pears and grapes!  Turns out he works at the Rock Suites and Spa next to the church on top of the hill overlooking Congosto. He said that sometimes pilgrims stay there!  When I looked it was a min of around 88euros. Whereas here tonight I have a wonderful single apartment complete with on suite facilities and a ExpressPro machine - all for a donation ! Still, I bet I could get a proper meal up there! Back to today’s walk. The walk from Congosto to Cabanas Raras was fairly dull, mostly because it was almost exclusively on tarmac. Although there are some non road alternates that Enders did not use for some reason. Only 4km or so on the other side of the reservoir. However, the highlight was having a wolf run across the road about  150m in front of me. By the time I got my phone camera out it was too far away to get a good shot. Hopefully, I will be able to do something with it when I get home. Quite surprised to see one there as it was near an industrial unit and a relatively busy road. Far more expected to see one after Fasgar especially after all the locals there said don’t start you walk up the hill until full daylight owing to the bears and wolfs! The rest of the walk was mostly on tracks and it joins the Frances at Cacabelos where I met the crowds. Pleasant stroll into Villafranca and the one good thing here is that there are loads of places to eat!  Off to ??? not sure yet owing to a lack of booking! But around 38km or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment