Friday 27 September 2019

Puente-Almuhey to Cistierna 24kms

Puente-Almuhey to Cistierna 24kms
Had a lazy day today as it was a short hike. Got up after 0800, had a relaxing breakfast with a large cafe leche and toast. With an expected 4hr hike I left at 0930. However, it was slightly longer than advertised as I arrived just after 1400. Turns out it is actually 24kms. Not that the extra made a difference to me. As for this stage it is absolutely wonderful.  In fact if I wanted to show someone the essence of a camino I would take them on this stage. It has everything - gentle stroll through pastures with the donging of cow bells, woods and forests. Good tracks, including a little bit of very quiet road, rural tracks, forest trails and the equivalent of goat trails! There are panoramic views, picturesque churches and a sanctuary as well as pretty lakes. In addition, there is no long bit at the end of the hike where you can see the destination in the distance. The first sighting of Cistierna is when it is only about 3 kms away. It’s flat at the start with a 4km uphill section about half way and if you are lucky like I was you will meet a goatherd with his 8 dogs and a local fungi hunter! The fungi hunter, despite my standard phrase saying I have little Spanish, spoke to me for about 5 minutes. He was extremely agreeable and clearly knew of the Camino Olviado and of its old name. He was also trying to explain about another camino that crossed this one close by that he call camino frankengena (my English phonetics) that I don’t think I have heard off. So for whatever reason don’t miss this stage. In fact I think it was even better than yesterday’s stage!  Staying at Hostel Moderno today and off the Bonar tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment