Saturday 6 October 2012

Aviles to El Pito about 26km


Well Aviles was a pleasant surprise last night given the poor view we had of the city on the way in. The old historic part of the town is very attractive and mostly pedestrianised. Lots of well maintained old buildings and a park in the centre of town. Good meal with a very helpful and friendly patron who described what he thought was a better route out the next day. Decided to try his suggestion and think that although it was not shorter it was probably less hilly. Left at 0715 this morning as the snoring chorus was not going to allow a lay in! First part of the walk was mostly on Tarmac but as it was early morning and cool it did not matter. Past one well decorated roundabout on the way out of Aviles . You should be able to see the 'paper' boats! Contrary to the weather forecast it started to rain lightly half way through the morning but not enough to matter However, a short while later it got a bit more persistent so we stopped to put our gortex rain jackets on. Disappointingly, I could not find mine so it looks like i have been a numpty and left it somewhere. A bit confusing though as according to my and mikes recollection we last wore them one chilly morning so it's hard to imagine that it was miss laid after that. I find it hard to imagine that someone thought they had a better use for it than me but then I will never know. Best I find a shop before the real rain comes but at least I have a bin bag with me for emergencies! Second part of today's walk was really good as we strolled through some pleasant tree covered valleys and even better when we popped out onto road we were less than a km from our planed destination. Decided to stop at El Pito after about 26km as we had walked 30 plus the previous two days. In a small one star hotel today with two real beds, sheets and only one snorer - bliss. All nicely set up with a help yourself breakfast at 0700 although it is limited to 1 coffee, 1slice of toast and 1 portion of marmalade. Much to mikes delight I have my first blister today and it is on my big toe. Not bad at all and only a minor nuisance at this stage. After doing our washing in the basic facilities - cold water only with a ceramic washboard, we walked down the road to the local cafe for lunch. Fortunately, just after we arrived they served bacon and eggs with a plate of fresh tomatoes to someone else in the bar - so that made it an easy choice.  Before I sign off today I may need to explain some of the potential typos on the blog. These I blame primarily on the apple mac operating system's determination to guess words when I type. This means that it can insert some surprising suggestions that easily go unnoticed.  For instance if i type confirm but accidentally miss the 'i' I get condom!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you find another jacket soon. What is the weather going to be like over the next few days? Give my regards to Mike. See you soon love Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will get a replacement when I can. It rained today but not for long.

    ReplyDelete