Friday 23 September 2011

Fri 23 Sep - Finally found more than the single horse in Castrojeriz as there was one small area with a few bars and resturants - not that there were any signs to tell you. I bet they sit in their bars some days wondering why no pilgrims or tourists visit - well it is because no one can find you! COP start although it is getting nearer to a 0615 start for the walk as we are becoming much quicker at getting ready. The real curse of the AdPs are the bag rustlers and light flashers. Those who want to get up and leave from around 0430 onwards and make lots of 'quiet' noise. I now think that the best AdPs are those that have a 2200 curfew and do not allow any early leavers but put the lights and music on at 0600. A common discussion on the way is about how much each rucksack weighs and what could have been left at home. I walk with about 10 kgs which included about 2 litres of water (1.5 ltr of which are in a camel back which is essential for long distance hikes). It seems to be about the right weight and I no longer suffer from camino shoulders when I first take it off. That said I know I could carry less. For example I have my walking shoes, my running shoes and some flip flops ( thongs for my aussie readers - which makes for some interesting discussion when you ask to see someones thong!) - I now would be content with my walking shoes and some 'hiking' sandles that would take the place of the running shoes and flip flops. It is getting light slightly later now, nearer 0740 that the 0715 at the start, but we had a fairly simple day today with the last third being alongside a canal into Fromista. One of our group was suffering a little from bruised feet so I went on ahead to secure the beds and then walked back. I did see some pedalos on the canal but could not find anyone to hire them from - it would have been fun to sail up the canal to pick up the last person - the Royal Navy comes to the rescue! ( For those that do not know I served in the RN for 35 years!) Got to Fromista at just before 1200 when the AdP opened and we passed the half way (by distance) mark today. Group now reduced to 5 as Lena has walked on further today so `'buon camino' Lena. I think Karsten and Mark will be walking further than us tomorrow as well. Mark´s flight has been changed so he has less time and K is also on a schedule. Claire will be with us for another day or two but then she is waiting for a friend from Aussie to join her. Off to see the joys of Fromista now - at least it has a supermarket!

No comments:

Post a Comment